If you’re ready for much-needed relaxation and rejuvenation, consider taking a spa resort trip. Focusing on wellness—with spa treatments, massages, fitness and mindfulness regimens, and other healthy, cleansing activities—you’ll let go of stress and feel like a new person.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of taking a spa resort trip, and a few of our favorites around the world.
Why Go on a Spa Resort Trip?
The pace of modern life means that all too often, we’re stretched thin without getting any time to recover. How many times have you heard yourself or someone you love say “I’m burnt out,” “I’m fried,” or “I just don’t have the energy anymore”?
Spa resort trips provide the opportunity to relax, unwind, and tune into your body and your mind. You’ll stay onsite in a comfortable, peaceful room or suite, and be surrounded all day by a beautiful, calming atmosphere suited to the type of experience you’d like to have.
Many spa resorts have a variety of creative treatments designed for different physical needs, comfort levels, and interests. Images of couples’ massages and facials by the pool usually come to mind when we think of a resort, but that’s not all they provide—the spas featured on our list have treatments inspired by the history of their locations, from thermal baths to volcanic ash.
How Much Should You Budget for a Spa Resort Trip?
The answer to that question depends on where you want to go and how long you want to stay—in general, you should expect to pay about as much as or more than a vacation you’d normally take to that destination. Spa treatments and resort stays can add up, especially if you opt for upgrades or additional activities and excursions.
If you use credit card and hotel loyalty programs, that can be a great jumping-off point to finding and planning a spa resort trip. Here are a few tips to get started, courtesy of The Points Guy.
What Should You Expect During a Spa Trip?
At a premier spa resort, you can expect exceptional personalized attention. The staff will listen attentively to your wishes and customize your spa treatment accordingly. A few things that you can expect on your spa trip include:
- Spa treatments and therapies: These can include massages, facials, body wraps, aromatherapies, mani/pedi services, and much more.
- Fitness activities: Whether working out on your own at a fitness center, or taking a class in yoga, pilates, or something else, there are tons of fitness programs to choose from. You can also go further than the resort itself and find opportunities for hiking, swimming, kayaking, and lots more, depending on where you are.
- Excellent dining: You’ll find a variety of healthy, local food at restaurants and shops at your chosen spa resort, plus depending on where you go, you may be able to find a nutritionist who’ll walk you through healthy eating choices that you can build into your life.
- Workshops: Many spa resorts offer short workshops and guidance on things like nutrition, mindfulness, meditation, and other topics healthy for your long-term wellness.
- Gorgeous accommodations: You’ll of course have the opportunity to stay in a beautiful room or suite during a vacation to a spa resort, and the staff make your comfort and happiness their top priority. From bright and tropical, to cool and ambient, there are so many places to choose from for your dream resort stay.
Recommended Spa Resorts Around the World
Here are our recommendations for the best spa resort trips from around the world. See what makes each spa special, what their top treatments are, and other highlights at each location!
1. Spain: Balneario de Archena Spa Hotel & Resort
Balneario de Archena offers an authentic Spanish wellness experience. This thermal complex is situated in Valle del Ricote, and specializes in thermal treatments, all of which are supervised by a doctor trained in hydrotherapy. These treatments provide rejuvenation for tired muscles and help improve the immune system.
The top treatments at Balneario de Archena are the mud massages and the thermal bath circuit. In this treatment, you move through a series of thermal pools that vary in temperature and pressure. Here’s what else you should know about the resort:
- There’s a “beauty farm” for face and body treatments
2. Thailand: Mövenpick Asara Resort & Spa Hua Hin
Thailand is renowned worldwide for its spa treatments, especially Thai massage, a rigorous massage ritual that encompasses the entire body. But that’s not all you’ll find in Thailand: the Mövenpick Asara Resort combines traditional Thai beauty practices with modern luxury. There is also a fitness room for getting sweaty and energized in between spa treatments.
The top treatments at Mövenpick Asara Resort are the Thai massage and the exfoliating mineral salt scrub. Here’s what else you should know about the resort:
- Multilingual staff
- Oceanfront views provide the perfect complement to a relaxing spa trip
3. Italy: Abano Grand Hotel Anti-Aging Thermal Spa
The Abano Grand Hotel is a five-star hotel and resort located in Abano Terme, Italy’s oldest spa destination. Abano Grand Hotel takes advantage of this serene location to provide thermal baths, saunas, and showers that delight the senses.
The top treatments at Abano Grand Hotel are the exfoliating fruit peel body scrub and thermal fango mud facials. Here’s what else you should know about the resort:
- Located in northeastern Italy a short distance from Venice
- Charming rooms decorated in traditional Italian style
4. Morocco: La Sultana Marrakech
La Sultana Marrakech captures the mystery and magic of Morocco. There are two hammams, or Turkish baths, at the spa resort. Take an escape from the heat of the desert and indulge the senses. The top treatment at La Sultana Marrakech is the spirit massage. Here’s what else you should know about the resort:
- Cooking classes
5. Costa Rica: Tabacón
Tabacón is located at the base of the famous Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. The spa philosophy is one of ultimate privacy and relaxation: experience a facial or body scrub completely surrounded by the lush jungle. The top treatments at Tabacón are the body wraps—try a lemongrass, guava, or coffee wrap to renew tired skin. Here’s what else you should know about the resort:
- Multilingual staff
- Wheelchair accessibility
About the Author
As the managing director of Frayed Passport, my goal is to help you build a lifestyle that lets you travel the world whenever you want and however long you want, and not worry about where your next paycheck will come from. I've been to 20+ countries and five continents, lived for years as a full-time digital nomad, and have worked completely remotely since 2015. If you would like to share your story with our community, or partner with Frayed Passport, get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Featured image via Unsplash.